Sunday, February 26, 2012

I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?

should I look out for? I am not Mormon I am Christian is that going to cause us trouble? I am currently in So Cal and it is expensive here is it there? How are the schools? I have 2 young kids who will soon be in school.I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?The person who answered above has only visited SLC, not lived there.



My sister is a non-Mormon (LDS) living in SLC who's husband is of another race. Here's the real scoop.



SLC is a lovely town in which to raise a family. It takes "family friendly" to a new level. However, if you are not LDS, be aware that the public schools are not merely LDS-friendly; they teach the religion. I wouldn't recommend non-LDS children attending public schools here. The interesting thing is that all non-LDS religions tend to band together here; Christians, Jews and Muslims together. There are many private schools that are viable options. This is the only way I believe that you'll be caused "trouble;" remember that the population of SLC is only 50-60% LDS nowadays. It is, however, quite conservative.



In terms of expensive vs. Southern California, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Housing is very affordable in comparison, and the natural beauty of the high desert paired with how close you are to mountain towns like Park City make SLC a lovely place to live.



I adore visiting SLC. It feels idyllic and charming to me, but there is something very different about Utah that I can't exactly put a finger on.I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?
Brandy please don't convert to Mormonism, these people have kept alive that racist Baptist crap from the 1800s and they try to explain it as if it was really true... you know that crap about Cain and the mark of Cain being black skin. They even try to say that your skin color came as a sign so ppl would know not to give black people access to the priesthood. Half of the Mormons will talk about how black people were kept away from god because of the curse.

Why are you going to that place??? Your kids may surreptitiously be taught that stuff in those schools

Yes they will be nice and talk about how they love black people, but the racist "friendly racism" that gets under your conscious mind, that kind that teaches your children that they are not quite good enough... that will come up.

Just ask any Mormon about those racist passages in the scriptures Ask them "why" Black people were banned from being priests, and they will say "We don't know why God chose to ban them but it must be part of his plan". You know that same crap the white racist baptists were saying about slavery 200 years ago.I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?Mormon means More-Christian.

The Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints is very much Christian.

As far as how you will be treated, the answer is you will be treated well. One of the things to watch out for in Salt Lake is there are many bitter Anti-Mormons who live in this area. Your best bet is to steer clear of these bitter irrational people, who are similar to Anti-Semites, in how they obsess against Mormons, endlessly, for zero reason.

Also don't get upset when someone brings you cookies. It is just cookies. Don't turn things that are good by your neighbors somehow into something bad.

Real Estate is generally speaking much less expensive in Utah (and Salt Lake specifically) then it is in California, particularly in places in California that are highly built up, like Southern California, etc.

Salt Lake City is a good place to live. You will like it there, if you move there.

As far as being inter-racial is concerned that is a non-issue. Over the years many many Samoan and Tongans have married White Mormons over the years, so people are more than just a little used to that.


God bless.I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?
Mormons are Christians too. We are just probably a different denomination than you. We believe in the saving atonement of Jesus Christ and that is also our message.

The schools there are very good.

You will find it dirt cheap compared to so cal.

I think you will really enjoy it. The inter-racial thing is nothing. Im mormon and white, and both sisters married other races. Both families are loved and strong in the church. Its seriously beautiful there too. You'll be about 1/2 hour from Park City, which is way up in the mountains and theres lots of fun things to do there. Also SLC has a much lower concentration of Mormons, if that really is a concern for you. Its just a cool, beautiful, clean and relatively safe city.

----------------------
jggb: They do NOT teach the religion in public school. Let me clarify as one who has lived there and has MANY friends there. They offer seminary classes (which do teach lds doctrine) at the high schools. This is something a non-member is not at all required to take. Its just an extra class you CAN take after or before school. Its separate and has nothing to do with your school grades, they just use the property as would a school club.I am an inter-racial couple thinking of moving to Salt Lake City and I am not too familiar with the area. what?Uhhh this is the 21st century. I'm pretty sure no one gives two sh*ts about inter-racial couples. Sure, if this were 1962 it would be a big deal. But it's not. And I am an atheist that has been to SLC about 7 times. Mormons didnt bother me, I didnt bother them. You wont get drama as long as you dont go around starting it.
  • country buffet
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment